Name the country from the second largest city and the words "thank you very much" in the most widely spoken official language of that country.
1. Medellin, muchas gracias
2. Spanish Town, thank you very much
1. What nationality were the author Stefan Zweig, the composer Anton Bruckner and the artist Egon Schiele?
2. In which Olympic event is David Rudisha the world record holder?
1. In which year did the Easter Rising take place in Ireland?
2. And which Irish poet wrote a famous poem whose title contained that year?
Questions 1 to 5 and 6-10 are separate groups. Each group gives a clue to a two-word phrase, or eight letter word made of two distinct parts, where each word or part has four letters (e.g. chat show, download, reindeer etc.). The five answers (or part thereof) in each group transform one word into the other, changing one letter at a time. For example, the answers in one group of questions might be; Hell – Hill – Fill – File – Fire for the two-word phrase hell-fire.
1. Which animals are all considered to have a birthday on 1 January in the Northern hemisphere, regardless of when they were actually born?
2. On New Year’s Day 1945, which Japanese Emperor broadcast a radio address to the people declaring that he was not divine?
1. Which literary villain perished at the Reichenbach falls in a novel of 1893?
2. In George Orwell’s Animal Farm, what kind of animal is Boxer, sent to be slaughtered in exchange for a case of whiskey after he defends the exiled pig Snowball’s reputation?
1. Which band was Chester Bennington the lead singer of until his suicide in 2017?
2. Which fictional character’s Expedition provided the title for the last and best-known novel by Tobias Smollett, published in 1771?