Answers to the Christmas quiz below - please feel free to report your scores in the comments if you are of a competitive bent, and let me know if you disagree with any of the answers.
1. In which year did the Easter Rising take place in Ireland?
2. And which Irish poet wrote a famous poem whose title contained that year?
1. Which animals are all considered to have a birthday on 1 January in the Northern hemisphere, regardless of when they were actually born?
2. On New Year’s Day 1945, which Japanese Emperor broadcast a radio address to the people declaring that he was not divine?
Welcome to the Christmas quiz! Please have a crack over Christmas with your friends, family and anyone else you can rope in (because it's probably quite difficult if you tackle it on your own). I'll upload the answers on this site in the New Year. Happy quizzing!
What do the following pictures represent (warning: some bad wordplay ahead), and what is the festive connection between them?
The answers to the ten questions below (or part thereof) are linked by a common given name.
1. Which author wrote the controversial novel "A Clockwork Orange"?
2. What was the only US no.1 song by Simple Minds?
Adding a letter to each of the answers to the below questions gives the name of an animal (e.g. if the question is “what is the name of the Egyptian sun god”, the answer is Ra, and you could add the letter T to that to make the name of an animal, “rat”).Those letters, in order, form the name of a song likely to be heard at Christmas.
For some answers, there may be more than 1 way to add 1 letter to make an animal (e.g. the “rat” in the example above could also be “ray”), but only one option will make the festive song.
1. Which band have released songs such as Newborn, Time is Running Out, and Stockholm Syndrome?
1. According to the first line of A Christmas Carol, who was dead, to begin with?
2. In which ocean would you find Christmas Island? For a bonus point, what is the fishy name of its capital?
1. Who wrote the famous Christmas poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas"?
2. What aspect of Christmas was said to have been invented by Henry Cole, a busy civil servant in the 19th century?
The following ten general knowledge questions have a connection related to Bonfire night, in whole or in part (note: articles, prepositions and repeated words have been omitted from the connection).
1. What is the first word in the Pink Floyd song "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"