Name the country from the second largest city and the words "thank you very much" in the most widely spoken official language of that country.
1. Medellin, muchas gracias
2. Spanish Town, thank you very much
Welcome to the Christmas quiz! Please have a crack over Christmas with your friends, family and anyone else you can rope in (because it's probably quite difficult if you tackle it on your own). I'll upload the answers on this site in the New Year. Happy quizzing!
Give the word of Japanese origin (which is listed in the OECD)
1. Lit. Picture letter, meaning a small picture used in an email or text message
2. Lit. Big wind, another word for a hurricane or cyclone
Give the Russian-derived word (which is used in English and found in the OED) from the description.
1. The clandestine copying and distribution of literature banned by the state.
2. Common name given to bureaucrats in the Communist party, now used more broadly to refer to any bureaucrat.
Name the city from the etymology or meaning given and any additional hints.
1. Fair Winds (Spanish)
2. Eastern Capital 東京
Name the UK town or city from the etymology and other hints provided.
1. Broken bridge (Latin, Yorkshire)
2. Place where cows can cross the river
1. Which English word for a fruit conserve comes from the Portuguese word for quince?
2. Which English word comes from a Japanese word meaning "great prince"?