Name the country from the second largest city and the words "thank you very much" in the most widely spoken official language of that country.
1. Medellin, muchas gracias
2. Spanish Town, thank you very much
1. What nationality were the author Stefan Zweig, the composer Anton Bruckner and the artist Egon Schiele?
2. In which Olympic event is David Rudisha the world record holder?
1. What preposition is also the name given to the dimension through which dragons, watch-whers and fire lizards travel when teleporting in Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Perm science fiction series?
2. In which year did Ho Chi Minh declare independence for the Democratic republic of Vietnam from France?
Answers to the Christmas quiz below - please feel free to report your scores in the comments if you are of a competitive bent, and let me know if you disagree with any of the answers.
1. In which year did the Easter Rising take place in Ireland?
2. And which Irish poet wrote a famous poem whose title contained that year?
Questions 1 to 5 and 6-10 are separate groups. Each group gives a clue to a two-word phrase, or eight letter word made of two distinct parts, where each word or part has four letters (e.g. chat show, download, reindeer etc.). The five answers (or part thereof) in each group transform one word into the other, changing one letter at a time. For example, the answers in one group of questions might be; Hell – Hill – Fill – File – Fire for the two-word phrase hell-fire.
The first five questions are standard general knowledge. The answers to the next five questions are the first five answers (or part thereof) with a letter removed. The next five answers are the first five answers (or part thereof) with a letter added. The final five answers are the first five answers (or part thereof) with a letter changed. In the case of multiple word answers, the same word is modified in each of the groups of five questions. For example, the answer to a question in the first group might be Iron Age. The answer to a question in the second group might then be Ron Atkinson (letter removed), in the third Jeremy Irons (letter added), and in the fourth Tron (letter changed).